Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

The FAD-tastic Experience

Ever heard of FAD, or the Foundation for Adolescent Development? How about Dial-a-Friend? If yes, then that's just on FAD's projects.

The Foundation for Adolescent Development, Inc., more commonly known as FAD, is a non-stock, non-profit, non-government organization that has long been established since 1988.It caters to a very specific clientele of Filipino adolescents and young adults aged 13-24 years old.

Since its conceptualization, FAD envisioned itself "to be perceived as trustworthy friend of young adults and as the leading resource center on adolescent sexuality, reproductive health and development".

Recently this year, FAD opened its doors to Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health (ASRH) advocates to be part of its family. 


It was just this May that Alvin Dakis joined the Foundation as its newest and youngest Executive Director. Its former Executive Director for 20 years, Ms. Cecille Villa joined the Research Triangle Institute as its ARH Advisor.




With Director Dakis' assumption of the position, the Foundation further searched for more fresh and new advocates to join them. On its official Facebook page, FAD posted on May 16, 

Hello friends, the Foundation for Adolescent Development is looking for a Program Manager/Executive Assistant for immediate hiring this June 1, 2013. 

Should be dynamic, innovative, quick troubleshooter & results-oriented;
Should be internet savvy & is active in social media; and
Background on writing is a plus. 

Please send your letter of intent (LOI) and your updated resume to 

ALVIN CLOYD DAKIS, RN
Executive Director, Foundation for Adolescent Development Inc.
1066 Remedios cor. San Bartolome Sts. Malate, Manila

e-mail at: alvin.dakis@gmail.com


I saw the post the day it was posted but I kind of hesitated to apply. I must admit, I undermined my own capabilities - thinking that my qualifications do not suffice the requirements needed for the post, that I do not possess what it takes to take the position and belong to an established NGO, that I am a nobody in the field of the ASRH advocacy.

Few days has passed after the announcement was made when I finally had the courage to face the computer and pull up Microsoft Office Word and create a Letter of Intent. I must say that I swallowed all the guts there is in me and send my LOI together with my Curriculum Vitae to the given email address.


Days passed and I went on with my daily routine of doing nothing but bum at home. 
Image courtesy of globelimousines.ch
Then came May 20, Monday. I received a call from FAD! 

"You're scheduled for interview on Wednesday, May 22 at 9 o'clock in the morning at the FAD Office, PCPD Building, 2332 Chino Roces Avenue Extension, Taguig City."

Yay! I was part of the three people shortlisted and endorsed to the Board of Trustees for interview. I don't know as to where I'll find all the courage this time to face the members of the Board. All I know is I made it to the meticulous screening and shortlisting. 

As the famous adage goes, "Many are called but only few are chosen". 

"You deserve a pat in the back, Erick", I uttered myself.

It was only then when it drowned me that the screening process and impressing the Board in the interview are two completely different thing.

Well it's kinda good that Nr. Alvin, who used to be AYNLA's National President and CEO, is the current ED of the Foundation. Somehow, I know that I have at least built a good working relationship with him having been able to work with him for the past year.

The day of the dreaded interview came. May 22. Wednesday.

I went to the FAD office together with Nr. Janina Santos, who happen to be shortlisted and scheduled for interview on that same day as well. It calmed me knowing that I might be working with the two of them; but at the back of my mind, I'm trembling because I may not be able to compete with Janina for the said post. "Nonetheless", I told myself, "I'll just do my best to somehow wow the interviewers".

The Members of the Board, who will be doing the interview were not yet around when we arrived at the office. "Great! We still have time to breath", I told Janina, and we both laughed.


When the interviewers arrived, they first spoke with Nr. Alvin and then Janina was called to be interviewed first. I was left inside the office with my hands shaking and feeling cold as ice - not that the airconditioning is too high, but I just knew it was my nerves trembling.


Image courtesy of time.com
After a few minutes of around 15 minutes, which for me was like almost an hour, Janina came back to the office and I was then called for my turn. I took a deep breath and went to the Conference Room where the interview was conducted.

The interviewers first introduced themselves being, Ms. Karen Santos, CEO and Lizzie Zobel de Ayala, Member of the Board. Nr. Alvin was also sitting on the panel. I hardly tried to smile at them trying to keep my calm.


Series of questions were asked, which I believed I tried to answer as smartly as I can. A question lead to another question and then to another. Time was ticking loudly from my wrist watch and I felt like it was the longest time I had to endure.

After the interview, Nr. Alvin was kind enough to give us both feedback. He said that the interview went well and we were able to impress and wow the interviewers. (Another pat on the back, Erick.) We would just need to wait for further announcement and decision to be made by the Board of Trustees, ASAP.

A favorable decision has been made that day, but we needed to wait for the official announcement.


Image courtesy of sodahead.com
It was finally on May 24, when the same posted,

The Foundation for Adolescent Development (FAD) welcomes two (2) of the most dynamic young RH advocates to its family:

Ms. JANINA GILLIAN SANTOS
Program Manager, External Partnerships & Mobilization 

Mr. ERICKSON BERNARDO
Program Manager, Professional Training & Resource Management

Ms. Santos and Mr. Bernardo will join the FAD family effective May 27, 2013. Welcome!

Yes! My dear readers, you read it right! Yours truly and Nr. Janina now belongs to the FAD family. 


Now, you may be asking why the hell am I writing this post? It's not I wanted to brag about how I managed to surpass the process, but it's because "WE WANT YOU IN HERE!!!

The Foundation is once again opening its doors and is looking for young people to become its Official Junior Board and have what it takes to lead young people's sexual and reproductive health and rights.

Check on the photo below and see how you can be a member of the FAD Junior Board.



So what are you waiting for? Join us now! 

Online Registration Form:here
Email us your requirements at: fad.juniorboard@gmail.com

**************************************************
**********************************************************************
Check out the following sites and stay updated and connected with The Foundation for Adolescent Development, Inc.

Web: www.fad.org.ph

Facebook: www.facebook.com/FADphilippines
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FAD_ph
Images courtesy of FAD Facebook page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment