Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Look Back in 2014

Howdy, Randomers?

It has been indeed quite a while when I last posted random nothings here. And I bet you might be wondering where the heck have I been (read, pretty please).


Image courtesy of http://www.dazzlingwallpaper.com
So, just like last year, when I started this blog, I made a post looking back on 2013 that was. If you have been to the moon and would like to know more about it, you may check this one.


Now, before that clock hits midnight and the year changes, here's a monthly run-down of highlights that made this year worthwhile.

January

Foyer of Save the Children South Central Mindanao Program Office.
As you may all be well-aware of, I have been employed by Save the Children Philippine Country Office as their Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant last November 2013. Not only that I have been asked to attend strategic plannings, meetings and First Read events, I started this year by visiting their South Central Mindanao Program Office in Koronadal City, South Cotabato.



Since I was already in the area that time, I managed to do a side trip and be fascinated by the magnificent view of the infamous Seven Falls of Lake Sebu. I did not miss out on its offering and let the adventurer in me out when I conquered Southeast Asia's highest zipline of 600 feet above the ground, with 700 and 400 meters long ride.

Souvenir image courtesy of Seven Falls Zipline, Lake Sebu, South Cotabato.
Immediately after my South Cotabato trip, I went straight to the Philippine International Convention Center to attend the 7th Asia Pacific Conference on Reproductive Sexual Health & Rights, where I happen to be a member of its Youth Steering Committee.
PSORHN nurses as medics in the 7th Asia Pacific Conference on Reproductive and Sexual Health and Rights.

February

After my three-month stint as an M&E Assistant for Save the Children's First Read Project, I found myself teaching for a month in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Review Center. Thanks to the crazy-as-ever Janina Gillian Santos for the trust and the opportunity to teach Australia and New Zealand bound prospective students and immigrants.
Yup! That's yours truly with Janina Santos.
Day 1 at IELTS Review Center - a photoshoot without her informing me; hence the facial reaction.

My once personal best with Flappy Bird.
Remember the Flappy Bird craze? The mobile-application which caught the world by storm? Yes, I must succumb to the fact that I have also been into it. I even made a blog post about life lessons (read, Five Lessons in Life)from the game. It really did hit me, right?


My very own signed copy of The First Phone Call from Heaven.

Have I told you that like Ephraim Luga, I am also a bibliophile myself? Yup, you read that right. Though I may not be that much of a bookworm as Raim, I read JK Rowling and Mitch Albom. Matter of fact, when the latter held a book signing tour, I missed out on work and brought along Andrei dela Cruz in the event held at Glorietta Activity Center. Sorry, Janina.


It was also this month when my nurse-colleagues and I attended a Trauma Releasing Exercise. It did change my life tremendously that I also managed to make a blog post regarding that one (read, Be Stress Free with TRE)
TRE Certification at Bayanihan Unilab Center.
L-R: Andrei, Lino, Sarah, Dr Mike, yours truly and Jef

March

It was this month when I left the review center and started working with the Center for Asian Mission for the Poor Asia (CAMP Asia), Inc - a Korean owned, Philippine-based non-government organization with project sites at Towerville Phases 1-6 of Brgy. Minuyan Proper  (Towerville Phase 1-5) and Brgy. Gaya-Gaya and Brgy. Graceville (Towerville Phase 6).

I became one of their Community Development Associates for Health handling a community health clinic, emergency transportation system and an advocacy on preventive health care at Towerville Phase 6.

April

PHBS peeps sure does know how to have fun while fooling around with our President Janina Santos.
Not in the photo is Likes Manglalan and Hussein Catanyag who happened to be with us for iBlogX and iBlogIX respectively.
This year, blogger friends and members of the Philippine Health Bloggers Society attended iBlogX: The 10th Philippine Blogging Summit held once again at the Malcolm Hall, UP College of Law, University of the Philippines Diliman. 

May

Just like last year, Helping Hands Central Luzon had a medical mission at Calauan, Laguna with the Association of Past Pupils of Salesian Houses of Formation Inc (APPSHFI) - NCR Chapter and Don Bosco Calauan. 
HHCL family after the successful medical mission at Calauan, Laguna.
A supposedly solo-shot with Bunga Falls as backdrop. Thanks to Andrei and Jeff for photo-bombing.
If there's one thing I like the most with my HHCL family after every mission is the light hours that would follow. For this particular medical mission, our group drove all the way to Nagcarlan, Laguna to enjoy the beauty of Bunga Falls.


Another blogging event, this time organized by the Philippine Health Bloggers Society took place. Dubbed as "Blogging for Health and Wellness", health bloggers were treated to a day communing with nature at ParadiZoo, Mendez, Cavite and Residence Inn, Tagaytay, both of which are members of the Zoomanity Group of Companies.
Co-hosting Blogging for Health and Wellness with Andrei of itsrndrei.blogspot.com.
Image taken at ParadiZoo, Mendez, Cavite
PHBS Peeps at Residence Inn, Tagaytay.
L-R: Jolou dela Cruz, Engr. Grace Nicolas, Jofti Villanueva, yours truly, Andrei dela Cruz,
Janina Santos, Likes Manglalan, Alvin Dakis and Raim Luga.
Andrei and I enjoying the zipline at Residence Inn.
Did I mention that a breathtaking view of Taal Lake and Taal Volcano is on our backdrop?
It was also this month when CAMP Asia, for the first time celebrated World No Tobacco Day.
In attendance of CAMP Asia's WNTD 2014 are representatives from the private and public sectors.

This local version of the worldwide campaign, initiated by yours truly, has been attended by representatives of both the private and public sectors. Not to mention the more than 700 community residents of Towerville Phase 6 in attendance who listened to presentations and participated in the discussions and open-fora.
CAMP Asia's WNTD 2014 celebration has been attended by more than 700 residents of Towerville Phase 6.

June

Rose Anne and your truly pose with Dr. Mai Rostrata of DOH-CHD III.
Yours truly, together with Rose Ann Montallana, a community health worker of the CAMP Community Health Clinic attended the two-day Training on Smoking Cessation organized by the Department of Health Center for Health Development III (DOH-CHD III).

This training is in preparation for the Smoking Cessation Clinic now in place at Towerville Phase 6.


July

This I must say has been the most memorable month of the year for me.
Celebrating my 22nd year of existence in Melbourne, Australia.
Thanks Ronnievinn Pagtakhan for this cupcake from Starbucks.
Not only that I turned a year older, but more so a year wiser (read, I certainly hope so), I have also been selected as one of the youth scholars to attend the 20th International AIDS Conference (AIDS2014) at Melbourne, Australia.
With ASHHNA President Ms. Donna Tiley
With UNFPA Executive Director Ms. Kate Gilmore at the Youth Pavilion, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Center. 
Philippine youth scholars with other youth scholars from Pakistan and Romania on board the free City Tram
Back in my elementary days at the School of Infant Jesus of Dau, I have been a part of Tanghalang SIJ wherein we did a run of Broadway's Miss Saigon. Moreover, I was in my freshmen and sophomore years at the College of Mary Immaculate when I joined Dulaang CMI and did a number of school plays. Thanks to my mentor and dear friend, Chris D'Bayan for the influence and for encouraging me to watch Les Miserables while I was at Melbourne. 
One of most prized possession to date, a AUD 50 Les Miserable Ticket.
It's good that I have friends in the advocacy Karl Reiner Agbulos of the AIDS Society of the Philippines and Pharot Tubkrai from Thailand keeping me company.
After watching Les Miserables at Her Majesty's Theatre.
L-R: Yours truly, Karl and Pharot.

August

It has been a month since I attended AIDS 2014 in Melbourne. However, upon checking my email, I received my Certificate of Attendance to the said premier gathering of people working in the HIV and AIDS Advocacy.
One of my most-prized certificates in the advocacy of reproductive health.

September

Have I told you that I am a proud reservist of the Armed Forces of the Philippines? Yes, you once again read it right! I am an enlisted personnel of the Philippine Air Force. Given that, I am now under the helm of the 1st Technical and Administrative Service Brigade, Headquarters and Headquarters Service Support Group at the Headquarters, AFP Reserve Command. It was also because of this unit that I get to undergo the Rope Rescue Technician Course offered by the Search and Rescue Unit Foundation (SARUF).
Opening Ceremonies of the Rope Rescue Technician Course Cl 01-2014 with 1TAS Bde NCR, HHSSG and SARUF.

October

Who said that nurses are just found in the four corners of a hospital, clinic or such setting? Bet you haven't met a nurse colleague and fellow advocate, Raymond Garcia, the author of Kabute: Ang Pagsibol, a novel written by a nurse about nursing for nurses? I was fortunate to get a copy from the author himself and have it signed right there and then.
Jeff, Kabute's author, yours truly and Andrei at SM Manila Foodcourt after the autograph signing.

Having been exposed with SARUF, I have also witnessed the 1st Metro Manila Rescue Marathon. A three-day rescue marathon featuring the sceneries of Metro Manila. 
Team SARUF after the 3-day Manila Rescue Marathon Challenge 

The awarding of the said rescue marathon was held at the 1st Manila Disaster Preparedness and Crisis Management Conference 2014 at the World Trade Center, Pasay City.
Plaque of Appreciation awarded to SARUF for bagging 7th Place at the Rescue Marathon Challenge.
Another blogging event for this year is the #ItsMeantTB. This is organized by TBorNotTB, a group of students and professors from the University of the Philippines Diliman advocating for a TB-free Philippines. The event is also a website launch wherein facts about TB is provided and myths and misconceptions about the disease is corrected.
Included in the media kit provided is this TB fact sheet. #ItsMeantTB

November

I have previously mentioned that I am currently an enlisted personnel of the PAF for two years now. It was mid this year when I started processing my application as a commissioned officer of the AFP Reserve Force. After completing all the requirements and undergoing series of tests and exams, I came to face upon a panel of high-ranking officers to deliberate my application. Though results have already been released, we are just waiting for the actual donning of ranks before we can formally use our commissioned ranks.
Soon to be commissioned officers of the AFP Reserve Force.
Not included in this picture are Sgt. Villamin, RC Bituin and RC Cajustin.
Just like all other courses, the Rope Rescue Technician Course Cl 01-2014 has to come to an end. After weeks and weeks of hard work and training, not to mention having to stay late at the AFPRESCOM just for the activities, finally, we have reaped the fruits of our labor. We're now certified Rope Rescue Technicians.
Presenting the graduates of the Rope Rescue Technician Course Cl 01-2014

December

T'is the last month of the year and what better way to end the year than celebrate it with Christmas parties.
1st TAS Bde NCR, HHSSG | 7 December 2014, AFPRESCOM
CAMP Asia, Inc | 12 December 2014, Dory's Restaurant

CAMP Asia TP6 Volunteers Health Team | 19 December 2014, Marangal Elementary School
Truly, this year has offered a lot of surprises! Though life would never be complete without all its ups and downs, these have indeed made life worth living.

I am more than grateful that you have been a part of this wonderful year.


See you again in 2015!



Image courtesy of publicwallpapers.org

No comments:

Post a Comment