Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Musicals and Me

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
~ Toulouse-Lautrec (Moulin Rouge, 2001)

I have always been a self-proclaimed fan of musicals both on film and TV ever since I can remember.


Image courtesy of
http://www.lastminutetheatretickets.com
I even partook in a musical play during my final year in elementary in our version of Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil's Miss Saigon, which made our very own Lea Salonga infamous in the Broadway and West End.




Musicals on TV

I can still vividly recall watching High School Musical with my nephews and nieces back when it first premiered on Disney Channel. 
Image courtesy of
www.soundtrack-covers.com

High School Musical (2006) is about two high school juniors, Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) and Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Hudgens) who unexpectedly stars in a musical. Together, Troy and Gabriella, a basketball superstar and an academic genius respectively, resisted pressure from his basketball teammates and her group of geniuses. This resistance paved way for others to "not to stick with the status quo".

Three (3) seasons passed, two (2) of which aired on TV while the last one was shown in the big screen. I was among the many HSM fans who lined up in the movie houses.

Then came Glee, a story about the glee club of William McKinley High School (New Directions) competing in the show choir arena. With Finn Hudson (Cory Monteith) and Lea Michelle (Rachell Berry) leading the ensemble of New Directions, they work together to get the top spot in the Nationals while at the same time showing the realities of life in the context of a high school.


Image courtesy of www.crafster.com
I wasn't able to catch up with its first season as we didn't have cable TV when we moved to Bulacan. but, that didn't stop my passion for musicals on TV. I managed to google and download the complete episodes of Season 1.

Now, Glee is on its 4th season with a number of new characters. Some of those in the 1st season bade goodbye a few seasons ago.


Image courtesy of www.wikipedia.org
The creators of Glee also had a realiTV - The Glee Project - wherein the contestants would undergo a bootcamp patterned with Glee itself. This bootcamp is managed by vocal coaches, choreographers and producers of the show.

This reality show paved the way for Samuel Larsen and Damian McGinty (Season 1) and Blake Jenner (Season 2) to be part of the cast, as the prize for whoever will emerge as winner is a seven-episode arc in Glee's next season.

The Big Screen Musicals

There have also been a multitude of musicals that I have watched as it were shown in the movies. Among those that I have enjoyed much were Moulin Rouge (2001), Chicago (2002), Dreamgirls (2006), Burlesque (2010).

Image courtesy of www.imdb.com
Just lately, a movie adaptation of Hugo's Les Miserables caught the world by storm. It highlighted the acting stints and musical prowess of Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and a whole lot more. Moreover, it gathered several accolades from various award-giving bodies in the US.


Image courtesy of www.orble.com
It was just very recently that two (2) musicals were added to my list - Pitch Perfect (2012) and The Big Gay Musical (2009).

Loser me that I have just watched them recently! ^^

I decided to write this post as I was inspired by the latter. The movie stars Daniel Robinson (Paul/Adam) and Joey Dudding (Eddie/Steve) in an Off-Broadway musical "Adam and Steve, Just the Way God Made 'Em".


What I would like to share with you with regards to the film is the scene wherein Michael Schiffman, who plays the role of Charles, performs his very own composition in Mostly Sondheim - a open-mic night where the audience can sing any showtune, from a musical or any composition - which expresses his admiration for Paul.

Here's the clip of the scene I was taking about.




Here is the lyrics of the song "Someone Up There", written by Rick Crom.


I never believed in fate before,
But I'm seeing you most everyday.
You've been haunting my mind,
Since I saw you in the light,
And you took my breath away.

There are forces that work,
That we don't understand.
But they're bringing us closer,
As if it were planned.

If someone up there,
Wants us to be together,
Then who are we to disagree.
If someone wiser,
Knows we'd be good together,
It's not a place to ask why.
And I think we should give it a try.

If providence deems we fall in love,
Then there's nothing we can do.
And I cannot deny,
What I'm feeling deep inside,
And I think you feel it too

So it's hopeless to fight,
There's no place to retreat.
So give in to your heart,
For surrender is sweet.

If someone up there,
Wants us to be together,
Then who are we to disagree.
If someone wiser,
Knows we'd be good together,
It's not a place to ask why.
And I think we should give it a try.

I think we should give it a try.
I think we should give it a try.

Moreover, the song "Someone Up There", though sung in a gay-themed musical, speaks of love in a universal language.

What tickled me most is the fact that the movie defined the meaning of love in several aspects - a love that is willing to sacrifice as in the case of Charles and Paul; a parental love which accepts as in the case of Eddie and his parents.

The movie also talks about understanding and acceptance of the members of the LGBTQI community as depicted in this scene.


I was deeply moved by these words in the song "As I Am" sung by Liz McCartney, who portrays the role of Aunt Patty Maye, Steve's televangelist aunt:

I was put on this earth as I am
I was born with my own special blessingsI'll let them shine and not give a damnI was put on this earth as I am!

I just fervently hope and pray that everyone in this modern society can be like Aunt Patty-Maye.^^

How about you? Any musical you want to share? Feel free to leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment