Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Nurses and the BPO

"Sabi ko nga sa nanay ko, hindi ako magko-kol center hangga't may nakakain pa ako"

"So, ako, kailangan ko na mag-call center ulit kasi wala na akong makain?"


This has been a laughing stock among our group of friends when the thought of working in the Business Process Outsourcing industry has been brought out in the open.

Well, it's not that I have anything against working for the said industry. I will not deny the fact that this has been my bread and butter for the past one and a half year (July 2010 - January 2012).

I was then a Transition Advocate in one of the most well established and esteemed BPO company in the country. However, I had no choice but to leave the workforce for medical concerns.


After leaving the company, I have decided to focus myself and go back on track of my chosen field - the nursing profession. I then immediately took up several trainings and attended a number of Continuing Professional Educations; with the hopes of increasing my employability. But, to no avail, I ended up being included in the country's long list of unemployed registered nurses.

Along came the nursing organization of which I have been very much active for the past year - AYNLA. A dynamic nursing organization advocating for the achievement of the United Nations' Millennium Development Goals and working for the welfare of nurses.

Since then, I dismissed the idea of working in a BPO company once again. 

Many times that I have been by urged my family to give it another shot.

"Mag-call center ka na lang ulit. Tutal nakapag-call center ka naman na dati. Mag-eenjoy ka naman dun"

"Nasa sa'yo na lahat ng opportunities, pinalalampas mo lang. Mag-call center ka na ulit!"




I also cannot count the number of times that I have persistently declined their persuasions. 

However, I am now faced with some personally compelling situations that would require me to finally heed on to their appeals.

Tomorrow, March 5, I will half-heartedly submit my curriculum vitae for the scrutiny of the Human Resource Department's personnel. I will plunge myself into the dreaded interview process. I will be once again undergoing the meticulous routine of selection of qualified applicants. 

I may be left with no choice for now. 

But, the fire and passion that nursing has inculcated in me will still linger. The zeal and enthusiasm that AYNLA has in me will remain.

As they say, once a nurse, always a nurse. 



Once an AYNLAn, always an AYNLAn.

1 comment:

  1. Cheer up! Being a call center agent doesn't make you a lesser nurse. We all have financial constraints to deal with everyday. What you do is a just and legal way to earn money. Feel good!

    ReplyDelete